Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Over the years I have found what works best in my classroom for managing students during my small group literacy time.  I divide my 18 students into 3 ability groups.  Since my room has a jungle theme, I have a giraffe, tiger, and zebra group.  One group meets with me while the other 12 children have to work quietly and independently.  My school wants small group reading instruction to begin the 3rd week of school, so I don't have much time to train independent responsibility.  I assign one group of 6 to technology.  That means they are either working on computers, tablets, or at a listening center.  The other students are assigned to stations.  I have 5 stations; one for each day of the week.  At each station I post a goal and the students assigned to that particular station.
I am currently developing more TPT units that can easily be used at stations.  I like to have each station change very little from week to week.  My alphabet station will remain an alphabet station from week to week.  Just the activity changes. I also have a rhyming station, writing and vocabulary station, word building station and a phonics station.  I'd love to hear what other teachers are doing in their classrooms, so leave me a comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Letters Ff, Tt, Rr, Ii Lessons 7 - 10 26 Lessons in 26 Days

Our days in kindergarten continue to be full of fun as we learn one new letter each day.   Our mornings begin with coloring a puppet...